Parks and Recreation Intern
The purpose of this job is to perform a variety of duties associated with creating and providing support to the Parks and Recreation Department to include but not limited to recreational programming, camps and special events, facility inspections and general maintenance. Intern will also work closely with the Recreation Program Supervisor and Park Operations Manager to assist with all park functions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prioritize job tasks and complete them within specified time frames meeting strict deadlines.
- Work independently and oversee activities at designated locations such as parks, school facilities, baseball/softball fields and other public facilities. Includes set up and take down at facilities and areas for special events, including weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with all City personnel, affiliated partners, state agencies, teams, league officials and instructors.
- Working with city staff members and departments to promote, market and publicize activities, events and programs
- Ensure adherence to all State and Federal Regulations.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Inspects parks and community facilities to ensure safety, cleanliness, and project tasks are competed properly.
- Coordinates the cleaning, mopping, and maintenance of supplies in community and department facilities.
- Monitors the safe environment and cleanliness of an assigned site(s).
- Completes forms and paperwork regarding daily operations.
- Attends staff meetings to discuss department needs and objectives.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or levels.
- Itemizes repairs within work order based software applications
- Responds to citizen and department concerns for park facilities, grounds.
- Maintains communication with staff and general public regarding park projects and repairs
Education and/or Experience
High School Diploma. One (1) years of progressively responsible related experience and/or training; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job. Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia’s driver license.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Successful practices and knowledge of principles, rules, and procedures of organized competitive sports, athletic and recreational programs, objectives of public recreation and athletic programs general janitorial and maintenance practices.
Ability to communicate orally and in writing with staff members and/or supervisor and have working knowledge of appropriate technology in order to best serve the public and manage programs.
Ability to understand, follow and complete oral and/or written directions.
Ability to communicate and establish rapport, understanding and confidence with participants and the general public; exercise independent judgment in the application of program and game rules and procedures; plan, promote, organize, and coordinate athletic programs and events; and be a team player in the organization.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel and crouch.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office and outdoors. Exposure to all types of weather and will work around light and heavy equipment. Employee will be required to work evening and weekend meetings and events, and will be required to assist in special events and athletic events.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.